Tumba



 Tumba

PC: Pinterest

     “As hard as I try, I just can’t explain it so that you all really understand what it’s like here.” I exclaimed while laying in bed FaceTiming my dad. “Yes, but you can tell stories. All the little stories will then give us a bigger picture.” Was my dad's reply. He is a very wise man. So with this in mind, I will begin to tell the little stories in an attempt to give you a little glimpse into the world that I am currently living. 

     My first job when arriving in Macha was to help design the disc golf course. Honestly though, I was more just there for moral support. The people who I was with knew more about course designing than I did. Approximately 12 young guys did most of the physical labor while a couple of people were given the job of designing. I was totally blown away by how hard and fast these guys worked. They cleared large amounts of bush in an amazing amount of time without any complaining whatsoever. 

PC: Pinterest
     Although they can all speak a bit of English, the guys mostly communicated in their native language, Tonga. This makes it really hard to connect with people at times. They are really nice guys though and we were able to interact a bit while working together. 

     One day, one of the guys started yelling, “Susu!” No one responded. “Susu!” He yelled again. Still no answer. I gave him a confused look. “We have given each other animal names,” He explained, “We thought that we heard Eric coming. His name is Suluwe or Susu for short which means rabbit.” They then went on to explain everyones name, cobra, python, viper, dog, peacock, and so on. “I want an animal name!” I said. At that, they all started laughing. Most people don’t really like or want their names. “Oh you will get one” was the respond that I got. 

Do you see the resemblance?
Peacock is on the right
my friend on the left would be
 upset with me if I shared her name.
     I then began to ask them almost everyday when I was going to get my name. “Just wait, you’ll get it” was always their response. Then the day came. I was wearing my hair down and my glasses, two things that I don’t normally do. All of the original guys that I had worked with were around and I brought it up again, “I still haven’t gotten my animal name yet.” I reminded them. One of the guys then looked at me and said, “Tumba!” At that, everyone started laughing. “What does that mean?” I asked my friend, through her laughs she said, “Owl”. That was it. Since that day the staff at Push The Rock Zambia now calls me Tumba more than Esther. 
PC: Pinterest 

     People who I wasn’t really able to connect with before now laugh and say Tumba as I walk past or greet them. Even though they are mostly making fun of me, we now have a connection because of my name. I feel like I am officially part of the Push The Rock Zambia team and for that, I am grateful. Plus, there are worse names to be called. Owl is kinda cool. I now also have a disc design idea if I ever get one of my own. #TeamTumba 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts